The Cloister

Made in Cloister is located in the small cloister of the Church of Santa Caterina a Formiello – “a Formiello” from the Latin ad formis, meaning near a water conduct; near a canal, because it was near the ancient aqueduct Bolla. Building began in the first decade of the 16th century following the plans of the Tuscan architect Romolo Balsimelli. Of great importance is the cupola, with its slender Corinthian pilasters in piperno, considered to have been the first cupola erected in Naples.

In the 19th century the whole area was confiscated by Ferdinando di Borbone and transformed into a factory that produced wool and military uniforms.

From that moment, the cloister and the surrounding area was known as the “Lanificio” (industry of wool) with over 400 workers, considered an efficient example of industrialization for that era. A tall, wooden structure was constructed in the middle of the cloister, and is a rare example of industrial Borbon archeology that has remained practically intact.

In 1861, the “Lanificio” closes due to the unification of Italy and the arrival of the house of Savoy.

What was once considered one of the most important monuments of the Renaissance in Naples and in the 19th century a virtuous example of an industrial site, becomes an abandoned area of gradual and inexorable degradation.